Thursday, January 24, 2013

International Contact



My conversation partner is Sarah Collins who is a kindergarten teacher in Porirua New Zealand, kindergarten is children ages 3-5. She works in a Kindy (She said Kiwi’s are known for shortening many words) at Titahi Bay Kindergarten where the government pays for 20 hours a week for each child. There is a requirement that 80% of teachers are qualified, the Wellington Kindergarten (who she is employed by) is 100% teacher qualified. Because there have been recent cuts to ECE the Kindergartens are struggling. They ask for each family to give a substantial donation, but if a family can’t afford it they are still welcome. She gave me a great website with a video from the Wellington Kindergarten although this is not her specific Kindy. www.wn-kindergarten.org.nz

Sarah said they do not have serve any children in poverty at her Kindy, but there are others that do, she didn’t know much about the statistics, to be honest I didn’t know about my area until the recent assignment. She did say that many in poverty are Passifika families. These are Pacific nations people from the Pacific Islands, Samoan, Cook Island Fiji, Tokelau and Niue. The Wellington Kindergarten has begun a new initiative Etu Ao that is home-based care for Pasifika families. One Kindy offers lunches to help offset poverty; they will soon use that Kindy to house medical care and they have a van to bring families to the facility. 

I enjoy talking with her and hearing who she is through her written words for example; "That's not the Kindy's philosophy, just my prattle." I look forward to discussing more issues and learning. Below is a picture I got off the internet of her area. 


3 comments:

  1. I think it is great that you were able to connect with an international professional. It's awesome that the kindergarten has 100% teacher qualified. I wonder if that has increased the learning of the children in her school. I am excited to continue to read about your conversations with her in the upcoming weeks!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to hear that New Zealand demonstrates such a strong committment to hiring qualified teachers for their early childhood classrooms. It is also cool to hear the various ways that governments choose to subsidize public school education, although I was disappointed to hear that the children are expected to pay at least 20% of their educational costs. I hope that I get in contact with my professional soon. I am excited about the possibilities for cultural exchange.

    Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very great perspective from New Zealand on reducing poverty.

    I really enjoyed your contribution and perspective shared. I have also observed that with governments reducing spending across the world, has further put pressure on schools. However, I agree with you that community support like home based care, provision of basic amenities is helping to reduce poverty.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete