Saturday, February 2, 2013

Sharing Web Resource


This month’s newsletter I received from the Goble Fund for Children has an article on Children’s Defense Fund: Budget Principles. There are critical decisions about the federal budget impact on the nation’s children, I wrote my congressmen through the sites “Be Careful What You Cut”, and have gotten responses from them. Eliminating the Earned Income Tax Credit would increase child poverty by 23%. There is so much information in the section called Policy Priorities, I am not well versed in politics but as I follow the these issues, participate with my own voice and get responses (I’m sure they are a mass response) from house representatives and congressmen and learn more about policies regarding children, my eyes are opened.

I just discovered the Research Library there was something called Each Day in America; it talks about what happens with poor children/families each day. I also just realized that I will use this resource library for course work, there are topics to choose from and I feel I just got a new library card. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tina,
    I absolutely love the CDF's site! I have learned so much from that site. The resources in the library have proven invaluable to my work.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned so much from this site as well. It is full of useful resources. I am so glad that you continue to share this website with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the CDF website as well! I utilized it for last week's assignments, and I loved the wealth of information it presented. I think it's great that you are actively advocating for the funding for children. I didn't realize how much poverty would increase if the Earned Income Credit Tax were taken away. Thank you for sharing this information. It was great to read.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also using the Children's Defence Fund as one of my resources. Eliminating the EIC will hurt every family that qualifies for it. I myslef was affected by it this year because my son turned 17, so I was not ale to use it on him. Trust me, it hurts the income.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina,

    Thank you for the incite! It is very helpful and I plan on using the information you provided in my further research.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is interesting that you mentioned the possible elimination of the EIC; I just noticed that, because of a new job position, my EIC has decreased slightly, ultimately affecting my income tax return. For families who truly rely on the EIC as a matter of income tax refund, the elimination of the EIC could make the difference between savings, investment, or struggling paycheck to paycheck.

    ReplyDelete