Thursday, July 18, 2013

Strategies for Cultural Communication

I find myself drawn to people of different races, religion, sexual orientation, varying abilities etc. I look forward to using the information and looking for the culturally specific nonverbal communication as well as learning how one would like to be treated.

I do find myself communicating differently with a woman at work who is from England. I feel we are very culturally different although there are no defining differences such as race, religion, political affiliation etc. I feel I tend to avoid communicating with her because she is quit negative and judgmental. I’ve tried to be the cheerleader and modeling positive non-bias actions and words, directly talking to her although she laughs and says I miss understand her. I feel like I’m crazy and not doing my job of listening, so I definitely need some strategies!


The three strategies I will use are attempting to think and feel what she is thinking and feeling as well as trying to understand how she would like to be treated. I will ask questions to make sure I am clear and fully understand what she is communicating both verbally and nonverbally. Lastly I will avoid negative judgment, something I am accusing her of and am doing myself. I am very open to suggestions if anyone has any.

2 comments:

  1. Christina,
    I understand completing when communicating with different cultures. I find it difficult and no matter how hard I try not to let my own thoughts or judgments cloud my mind they often times do. I liked your choice of strategies and find that they also help in my quest of understanding those culturally different from me. Great post this week and I look forward to more interesting postings.

    Sha'Keema

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina
    I think you have a great list of strategies to use as you attempt to communicate more effectively with your co-worker. Being non judgmental and negative will go along way in improving the communication between the both of you. I think so many times when we do not understand someone we end up taking what they say the wrong way or getting offended. Remember that although you all may be of the same race, or religion it is our personal cultures in which we grew up in that influences our communication with others. I think by being patient with this co-worker and practicing your strategies in time you will find the most effective way of communicating with her. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete