Saturday, July 27, 2013

Results of Communication Scales

This was an interesting insight for me I asked a coworker to evaluate me and my 23 year old son. The most interesting was the anxiety of communication, when I enter a conversation that deals with uncomfortable issues I am very nervous, often times I will write down different responses so I can self monitor my response. I don't always have time for that so I was pleased to hear that others perceive me as comfortable in those situations. This does however point out that I often enter communication of a sensitive nature with a goal in mind, therefore I am not truly actively listening because I have an agenda.

A comparison where my evaluators and I had the same score was what type of listener I am, I was grouped in #1 people-oriented. I really thought I was more action oriented in my work because the days are so busy and there is not often time for empathic listening. The description for group one is that I have clouded judgment because I am very trusting of others, this is right on.

As a director and teacher I need to be able to listen to others and trust in myself that I do not have to prove that I know what I am talking about by interjecting my own experience and knowledge. Often in early childhood education we are struggling to prove this is a viable, worthy field. I have gotten in the habit of making sure others know that I know what I am talking about, which has clouded my listening skills.

Many lessons to be learned!


2 comments:

  1. Tina

    It sounds like you have had an epiphany. Thank you for sharing this information it has given me a different perspective as I encounter people who consistently interject their own experiences and knowledge of the early childhood field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina,
    Thanks for sharing your post and I can see from your post that it influenced your way of thinking. I too received the score of being people-oriented, which also caused me to be shocked but I thought I was the complete opposite. Hopefully we all can learn from the test and become better communicators.

    Sha'Keema

    ReplyDelete