Friday, June 28, 2013

Professional Hopes And Goals

To take a step back and observe the colors, the depth and the texture of the diverse human condition is like seeing a mountain for the first time. It is humbling yet inspiring and the desire to get a closer look is infectious.

My professional and personal goal when working with children and families from divers backgrounds is to learn, to discover and to connect. My respect for nature is something that is a part of me, but I have discovered many mountains I can't wait to climb with respect to the human connection. Mountains are never easy to get to know and there are many trips and bumps on the way but the effort and energy spent has its own rewards.

My hope for the early childhood profession is to put anti-bias practices into every piece of the day and every interaction. Children are taught to be bias, social justice has such an impact when the connection occurs from the beginning. Children will be taught to notice differences and see them as positive diversity.

This has been quit the journey of self reflection, understanding and discovery as well as respect. Thank you all for your thoughts and experiences which makes my climb up this mountain such a rich experience. I wish you all best in creating justice in our social world.

(Photo of me and my son in awe climbing Wayna Picchu in Peru 6/2/13)


3 comments:

  1. Tina,
    Beautiful picture! Your pictures are always so awe-inspiring. I would like to thank you for always inspiring me to connect with nature and see the beauty and wonder in things.
    Good luck as we continue to push forward. Do you think these last courses will be uphill climbs or steady walk downs? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that it would be great when you posted,"my personal and professional goal when working with children and families from divers backgrounds is to learn, to discover and to connect", I think this is the way to look at diversity, cultures,and families. Good luck in all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina,
    To answer your question, my specialty is Teaching Adults.
    Can you believe we are already talking about the end of this program? Remember last summer when we started? I will never forget all of the anxiety and confusion of the first two courses! LOL! It was so hot and miserable and I had that huge power outage. I'll never forget it. Now, we're nearing the end and it all seems so long ago!

    ReplyDelete