Thursday, July 12, 2012

Personal Childhood Web


Being the youngest of 8, "just you and me time" was precious.

#1 Mom, she was at the other end of my continuous talk of how my day went. She listened and was the soft comfort that made me feel like an only child. She gave me the gift of playing outside, true freedom.

#2 Dad, had boundaries and lessons at every turn, but he made me feel safe. His Catholic faith and his Italian culture were so important to him; it made me feel a part of the culture I never physically experienced. 

#3 Grandma Porter, she looked at me (all my siblings too) through rose-colored glasses, never seeing imperfections. At grandma's house the rules were relaxed, she taught me how to play her organ, most of all she had the gift of time.

#4 Uncle Jimmy, although I only saw him about once a year, and could hardly keep track of all the aunts a uncles and cousins. Uncle Jimmy stood out, he noticed me and always sought me out from the masses to play cards or sit outside and talk. 

To this day the gift of the outdoor space is the most profound experience that directed both my personal and professional life. My family went on numerous camping and fishing trips; my Mom and I would grab our sketchbooks and find a soft rock (a large rock shaped perfectly to our bodies so it felt soft). In a family meeting my Dad asked if we kids would be willing to give up our allowance for a year to help the family buy a little piece of mountain property. My parents showed me the love of nature, and this made me feel such stewardship for what we all still feel is our sanitary.     

3 comments:

  1. It is so great something you learned so young has continued to be a passion in your life. Sharing the love of nature with family and friends, while also bringing into the lives of children/people that you touch professionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I like that you realized how great it was to be able to go outside and play and enjoy your life. It was a great blog and I agree being able to have the freedom to enjoy life on the outside was truly a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina,

    I love the pictures that you post. I bet that you have interesting stories to tell being the youngest of 8 :). Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete