Saturday, February 22, 2014

Time Well Spent

Three deeply felt learning experiences from this program:

The first profound learning came through reflection. The more I learned who I was through my experience, I could see others perspectives more clearly. Widening the scope is where knowledge is gathered. Microagression was something I was not aware of, yet has such a subtle way of carving a person apart. My awareness has been heightened and my defense against microagression has become a priority.   

The second deep learning is the feeling of connection. I have always felt that with nature, but I feel we have such a strong network between colleagues with so many ways to manifest our passion for young children. Collaboration is the key to action, the statement by Sonia Johnson hits the nail on the head. "We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the course of history." (Laureate, 2011). 

The third, although my biggest struggle was learning about how to research credible sources. Because I will be using current research as a part of my professional career, to know what I am looking at and where and how it is based is so important. 

Reference
Laureate Education, Inc. (2011). Meeting the Challenge: Merging Passion, Vision and Practice: Practical application in the early childhood field. Baltimore, MD

There has been so many things I have learned with great importance, that I would need another 5 pages to explain. I guess the core is we are in this together, and I gain such inspiration from every experience and person I meet. Below is a bit of my journey through this program through pictures from my trip to Peru last summer.

My journey began with the support of my husband and grown children, my coworkers and friends, I was ready to change the world. 






















As I began I said, "wait hold the phone" literally, let me get my phone to take a picture, I'm climbing that!?!




Now that I have crested the summit I see there are many more journeys ahead of me. My challenge is now choosing the first of many, and I intend to work hard and enjoy the view of making a difference for young children and families.


My long term goal is to teach at the community college level, while at the same time implementing natural play spaces as an intricate part of every early childhood program. 

Farewell and Thank You for your input, thoughts, support and lovely perspectives!

Dr. Teri, here is my happy dance! Thank you for your guidance and moving me through my goal of completing my Masters! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_zvipMbSZU


To my colleagues, with whom we have spent many months (some over a year together) of studying, collaborating, and sometimes panicking together. Your presences has been the difference in this program. When I first began I felt this was going to be a solo climb, I quickly realized I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks to all of you, and to you  Mimi, you have been my inspiration! Lets all have tea at 11,000 feet before our next journey, Cheers! 
I would love to hear from any of you and learn about the impact you are making or your next journey in general!! You all have been so inspirational, thank you again.  Here is may home email christinaper@comcast.net

6 comments:

  1. Christina, I have really enjoyed reading your posts and all the information you have shared. You will be a great asset to any school. You are definitely a fascinating person and I wish you well in all you endeavor to do. Lovely pictures and thanks for the tea. I pray you are have a chance to work as a professor at the community college. Good luck to you.l

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina,
    I have really enjoyed interacting with you and reading all of your posts. You have made me look at nature and healthy living in a whole new light. I commend you for your contributions to children and families and I look forward to hearing about things you may be involved in in the future. I wish you the best of luck and thanks again for sharing!!

    Sha'Keema

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina,
    I promise not to get mushy here. What an incredible journey we have shared. Thank you for all the support and inspiration. We WILL have tea one day, I just know it. Maybe not at 11,000 feet, but why not? Let's continue to shoot for the moon. Good Luck!!!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tina,
    I felt your heart-warming farewell. I love your photos. I sounds like you have great plans a head of you and I wish well!! It has been a delight as you as a classmate take care best wishes... I loved the baby dancing video : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina,
    I have truly enjoyed the knowledge and love of nature you have shared with me. You have supported and inspired me throughout our journey with Walden. You have spread awareness over your challenge and as a result you have become an agent of social change. Thank you for being an advocate and for adding waves to the changing tides. I hope to we cross paths again and I wish you well : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Tina.

    I remember you from my first class in Walden. You were the first one who made me feel secure in embarking in this journey. Although we didn't have as many classes together as I would've liked, I deeply thank you for your dedication and friendship! Good Luck and please don't hesitate to contact me. My personal e-mail is: elisa_janethcw@msn.com

    Congratulations Tina! :)

    Elisa

    ReplyDelete