Friday, January 31, 2014

Week 4 Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level

#1 The Division for Early Childhood: Promoting policies, advancing practices

DEC is one of seventeen divisions of the Council for Exceptional Children. They are the largest international organization to improve educational outcomes.
Position: Instructor, Early Education and Family Studies
Full time position.
Masters degree in the subject area and non-teaching work experience in the field (Working with children, families and early childhood care and education professionals with young children and their families.)
Subject area includes “Early Childhood Studies”

#2 Farm to Preschool

Thanks to Mimi, I have been so excited to investigate the Farm to School organization and found this branch. Farm to Preschool is a program that brings children to local farms, bring in local healthy foods or produce gardens.
Position: There are no job opportunities available, but this is an organization I would love to be a part of, or create my own under their direction.  I will keep searching for job opportunities in this area.

#3 Early Childhood Environmental Education Programs: Guidelines for Excellence.

This description is what interested me. I would prefer to work directly with families but this affects children and families in nature play opportunities.

Position: Nature Clubs Project Coordinator

Work with the Director of Conservation Education and an appointed task force to compile the resources needed to develop nature play opportunities at zoos and aquariums and to remove barriers for families to engage with nature in their communities.
Minimum Experience and Trainings:
Bachelor’s degree in education or related field. Minimum 2 years of experience in nonformal education. Experience with environmental or outdoor education preferred.



Unfortunately I did not find any positions that interest me that were available. Although anyone in the field of Early Childhood uses NAEYC for guidance and resources. I would love to be a part of this organization.  

6 comments:

  1. Tina,
    I found your organization choices to be great. I too, loved the mission of the DEC because it provided ece professionals a foundation to create wonderful and intelligent young children. I also appreciated by looking at your post your love for nature. I believe it is critical to expand children's mind to things outside of the classroom and with the Farm to Preschool and Early Childhood Environmental Education Programs achieving that will be possible. Thanks again for sharing and I wish you the best of luck.

    Sha'Keema

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tina,
    I am always very interested in what you are doing in regards to working with children and nature. I think nature is one of the greatest and free resources we have for children. We can engage, explore, and educate through our environment. Being outdoors also lifts spirits and helps children interact and learn through their environment. Children do not spend as much time outdoors as before. We are loosing touch with our environment. It can be used to teach and discover so much. As educators we tend to stay indoors and learn in our classroom environment and neglect the refreshing chance to go outdoors and learn. I can easily say that my students have learned a great deal of information through our weekly nature walks around our campus. I really enjoyed the Farm to Preschool program Mimi suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina,
    I have also been very interested in the Farm to Preschool and decided to research the site. I think it is great to get the children at an early age and experience fresh grown foods. I am planning on trying to get this incorporated into our local schools.
    Thanks,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your information on the job listings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tina,

    Let me start by saying that you are a brave soul (profile pic...lol). I've held a snake before but never THAT COMFORTABLY! Someone was always holding the head....Anyways, you listed some great resources. I'm particularly interested in the "Farm to Preschool" Organization. This seems to be a very eventful and engaging resource for young children. And I can definitely see how this can tie into many areas of learning and child development. Thanks for sharing. I will absolutely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has environmental/health positions always interested you? I was going through our QRIS guidelines and one of them wants us to bring nature into the classroom even for the infants in my class! I am not very good at taking care of plants in my own home, and I feel that my focus is better spent on the children than on plants. I have thought about getting a beta fish which feeds off a plant so that there is minimal work and I can have a fun live "animal" as well as a plant for the children to look at.

    ReplyDelete