Saturday, May 18, 2013

My Family Culture

 The picture above is a little ceremony pouch, it contains a sage stick picked from my yard (the smell of it brings so many comfort feelings of home),  the shell is used in smudging / cleansing along with the sage stick. My family as a child was filled with religious ceremony, it has evolved through the years. And lastly the compass my father used in WWII, and a painted metal bead of my mothers. I would describe my parents who have passed and the memories and gifts that shaped who I am.

I would have to choose one picture out of many of my families favorite mountains, or backpacking trip. When describing this I would recount adventures and feeling the outdoor space gives me.

Last I would bring a wildlife book, not only would I love looking through it at pictures of familiar companions and describe to another the special features and strength each one holds, but also I would begin introducing myself with my new surroundings and its wildlife and learn from my new host country.

Being told I could only choose one item I would choose the pouch pictured above, this would be a scary feeling of being detached from the things I feel comfort and safety from.

My grandparents were in this situation, although it was their choice. Non the less I completely understand how food, traditions and language can be such an important piece of the comfort someone feels in a new place. I have always understood how important family is, but this gives new meaning to a family unit. I would want to go where ever my children lived, I would want to go to see the school my grand daughter would be in. All of the things we are told to make sure we accommodate extended family, that would be me. What a great perspective I have never put myself in.








8 comments:

  1. It's nice to get to know you through this exercise, I thought it was cute how you chose a bead and compass in remembrance of each of your parents. I didn't think of remembering my parents individually. I also like the idea of smell, scents can be much more comforting and familiar than most other things. Nice post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina,
    It was very nice to take a look at you and your family's culture through the items you chose. I never would have imagined to incorporate smell into this assignment but I am glad you did, because I feel it gave you a more in-depth richness for this assignment. I agree that if we were put into this situation that we all will feel detached from all the things we love, hopefully we never experience that. Thanks for sharing a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina,
    We're back together again and with Nadia!
    I love how you mentioned smell. Smells are very important to our memories. I can sometimes remember a smell better than a face.
    As usual, great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tina,
      I hope that's a good thing? Either way your contributions are very enlightening to me, I am sure glad to be back with you guys!

      Delete
  4. Pearson,

    It was so refreshing to read your post because it was so different from the others I read or the one I wrote. Staying true to your love for nature shows how embedded it is in your family culture.

    Exciting Post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina,
    I really liked your idea of bringing along a smell. This is something so small that we often take for granted. But it is one of the first things we do once born to feel comfort and form attachments. Thanks for sharing some of your memories!

    Victoria Leming

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom has a personal pouch with objects that were chosen for her by a medicine woman. She does not show the objects inside to anyone but they are very meaningful to her. Are you Native American? Loved your picture too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not Native American, I have studied under a couple elders, one Sioux and one Navajo. It is such an earth based practice it fits me well. Thank you for asking.

      Delete