Saturday, March 16, 2013

Topic of Research


Benefits of Naturalized Play Supported by Adults: Learning Experience for 3 and 4 years old Children in a Preschool Setting.

This is my topic; it has been transformed many times! I found it very difficult to narrow it down, and am not sure if I have achieved that? 

My large scope goal is to make quality child care accessible to all children. I had to back track quite a bit, because I think the way to achieve this is to have Universal Preschool. But one of the arguments against that is the fear of standardized assessments or implementing academic curriculum. I would like to emphasize play as an age appropriate learning tool to policy makers.

Because of my naturalist background and my hope to transform fixed plastic structures in playgrounds to naturalized play spaces, I must first illustrate the benefits of naturalized play. The more I have experienced and read, the only way nature play will happen successfully is by having teachers use this free, rich resource. This includes changing the perception that outdoor play is used as a teacher break, or that weather is bad.

I am really excited about this because it is my passion. I am apprehensive because there are so many pieces to the research puzzle. It helped me so much to use the texts 5 key points in writing a Literature Review, each article I read gave great examples. I am also getting great resources from the articles I am reading from the reference list. 

I welcome any suggestions or input!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Tina-
    I think this is a great topic (and is very progressive). A great read is a book called Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. It explains his theory of nature-deficit disorder and the importance of children being able to explore outside in natural settings. I look forward to hearing more about your research simulation! I too am a big advocate for universal preschool.

    Victoria Leming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina,
    Play is such in important aspect in life. Through play we learn about ourselves, eachother, and the world around us. Play is very thearaputic and can be done any/everywhere. Ben Franklin said it best, "Tell me and I forget, Teach me and I remember, Involve me and I learn".

    ReplyDelete