Saturday, November 24, 2012

My Connection To Play


“If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in.” 
 Rachel Carson
(As a 4 or 5 year olds child to have an adult excited about rediscovering nature and be as enthusiastic as a child about the wonders and endless creative play is it for me. When that adults allows the safe space for a child to explore on their own or accompanied, is play.)


“Play is the highest form of research.” ~ Albert Einstein.

Tools to extend play out on the woods, scarves and buckets
In the scenario, a reflection of play as a 4 or 5 year old, I would choose to be in the woods but would want an adult in the area for the secure feeling. The items I would like to have with me are a bucket or two and many old scarves and maybe an old spoon. When it comes to constructing a fort with large sticks if my friends and I couldn’t figure out how to tie scarves to secure the sticks we would ask for help. The scarves could become capes, shelter, blankets, bandages for injuries or anything. The buckets could be stools, salad bowls, tables, the skys the limit. But for the most part I would want the adult to be there but allow dramatic play to create itself. 

As a child this experiences would be thrilling, the unknown of what will develop in our play, the independence to create and be, and the mystery and discovery of what nature reveals. This is how play was for me as a child and all the feelings come back, the love of natural spaces has stuck and the freedom has left me feeling that everything is a gift. Play now a days does not always have the gift of time as it did in my childhood, but my mothers job was at home with the children. When my children were growing up of course I was a mom, but I worked so time was more limited, nature play was very intentional and took the place of soccer practice and other organized activities.  Also the secure natural spaces are becoming fewer and fewer, if city playgrounds were converted into naturalized play spaces children would have the same feeling of being in the woods close to home. Children don't need a big space, they need time and safety to explore those natural spaces because in play "its only natural".

                                                   



2 comments:

  1. Tina,
    I think the best way a child can discover and play is first with a supporting adult. It creates a sense of security and it shows children that we are interested in them as well as their interests. Of course children learn from one another and teaching them what they have learned will always be the better way of storing these experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A simple activity like digging in the backyard, and playing with what you find, (a worm maybe) becomes so exciting to a child. Children are so easy to please that they can really play with anything, using their imaginations to guide them. Great post as usual.

    ReplyDelete