Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Need for World Wide Immunizations

I am all for healthy living, I eat food grown in my garden, I buy organic or locally grown food, I get outside and hike, do yoga, and I am very lucky! This is why I get very frustrated with people in my situation that don't immunizing their children because it is not safe. In this country many people do immunize and we all protect those who are not. But in developing countries they are not as lucky. For example there is an amazing vacine for measles, humans are the only host for this virus, so it can be destroyed if everyone is immunized. Developing countries are riddled with very preventable deseases, but do not have the resources to immunize all their citizens. This country is now experiencing an epidemic of pertussis because groups of individuals chose not to immunize their children, putting not only their children at risk but the elderly and people with compromised immun systems. If anyone wants to donate to a world cause consider immunization for developing countries, give children a chance to survive, life is hard enough finding clean water, nutritious food and a safe home. I'll now step off my soap box!

I found some great information from Vacines for the Developing World at http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2011/07/vaccines-developing-world.html

And Immunize for Good (this is for Colorado, but the CDC has links to any state)





3 comments:

  1. Hi Tina,

    Thanks for sharing this. I never actually thought about immunizations in other countries. Developing countries do not have the resources and they also do not have the education about immunizations. We in America are very fortunate to have access to immunizations. Thanks for the links to, very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Info Tina!

    You do sound very passionate about immunizations. As I read, my mind thought of how many people maintain an immunization regime for their pets. This should show us that you are right, immunizations are very important. We should really do more to help those who cannot help themselves.

    Great Info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your passion about the cause of immunizing children in developing nations! In our own battles against funding cuts, inadequate education, and faulty policies aimed at curtailing the optimal development of American children and their families, it is easy to forget that there are children around the world who lack basic health and medical facilities. It is up to both the world's citizens and their governmental entities to come up with more innovative ways to alleviate the suffering of the world's children.

    ReplyDelete